Tuesday, August 5, 2008

How To Care For Your Dyed Diapers

I thought it would be a good idea to post this since is a question that I frequently answer.

When you received your prefolds from me, before you use them please do the following:
  1. Run through two hot wash cycles ALONE, adding a splash of white vinegar to the rinse cycle
  2. If you'd like to *test* to make sure your prefolds are not bleeding, throw in an old white wash cloth or other white item you are not concerned about in the second hot wash. If you're prefolds are ready to use, your wash cloth will still be white when the cycle is done. If the wash cloth comes out with color on it, please send me a private message on DiaperSwappers or an e-mail at mommyscottprefolds@gmail.com
  3. Once you've done the above your diapers can be used & washed as any other diaper you have - please see the notes below about certain colors
NOTE: After dyeing the diapers, I wash everything two to three times in a textile detergent specially designed to help rinse the dye out (dharma textile detergent from www.dharmatrading.com) and in most cases this is enough to rinse out all dye. The washing I ask you to do is as a precaution because some dyes take just a *little* more washing.

One color I work with (TURQUOISE) needs a LOT of rinsing. The last batch of turquoise diapers I dyed, I washed them somewhere between 15-20 times in hot water myself and they still required some more rinsing, so keep that in mind if you purchase TURQUOISE or any thing that has that color dye in it (I will note if it does) - I will recommend washing any diaper with turquoise 5 times in hot water either by hand or in the washing machine when you received them and this still does not guarantee that it will be completely done rinsing (a PAIN I know.... but it will eventually stop bleeding, I know :D I have some I use myself) you just may need to wash these separately for a while until you do the test above and your white cloth comes out WHITE.

I hope that helps!!!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks! I can't wait to get my flats!

Christina said...

@Jen I packaged them up today!! :D